This article covers how to hide (remove) the View All Site Content link and/or the Recycle Bin link from the quick launch navigation without having to customize the master page. Additionally, I cover how I accomplished along with other options, all using the standard functionality provided in Windows SharePoint Services 3.0.
Important: This solution is not an answer for security. The user will still have access to the View All Site Content page. The View All Site Content link is simply removed or hidden from the page.
– Windows SharePoint Services 3.0
– Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007
- There is no license required to use the Hide View All Site Content feature.
- This is available to the public (business or personal) for free.
- There is no support.
- There is no implied or explicit warranty.
- Use at your own risk.
Installation and Activation
(Very easy, no coding required)
For those interested in how to install this solution, it is very easy and does not require any coding, compiling, or editing.
Basic Install Steps:
Note: This command must be executed on the (only one) SharePoint web server, and you must be a local administrator.
- Add the solution using the STSADM command: stsadm -o addsolution -filename [path]\VASCSiteAction.wsp
- Deploy the solution using the STSADM command: stsadm -o deploysolution -name VASCSiteAction.wsp -allowgacdeployment -immediate -allcontenturls
- Optional – to restart IIS: iisreset /noforce
Using (Activating) the new feature:
- Navigate to the site you want to hide the View All Site Content link.
- Go to the Site Settings for that site (Site Actions > Site Settings).
- Click the Site Features (not the Site Collection Features) link under the Site Administration section.
- Activate the new feature named “Hide the View All Site Content link”.
Your View All Site Content link should now be hidden and the View All Site Content link should now appear in the Site Actions menu.
For those only interested in using this solution, you do not need to read any further. However, for those who are interested in how this is accomplished, the rest of this article discusses just that.